Ask The Expert: Installing Spyware
Question: Does someone need to have physical access to my phone in order to install spyware on it?
No. A person does not need to have physical access to your phone to install spyware on it. However, the likelihood of this is very slim. The most common types of spyware will require physical access to your phone.
Spyware that is used to target individuals for domestic situations like divorce, infidelity and child custody, and small business espionage is much simpler and does require physical access to the phone or device. Spyware that doesn’t require physical access is extremely sophisticated and much less common.
These simple tips can be helpful in ensuring your device is safe:
- Keep track of your phone and devices.
- Install passcodes and other security measures to ensure the integrity of your phone.
- Don’t clink on links or open attachments from unknown sources.
Unfortunately, low-end spyware is easily available. It is best to take precautions and to act immediately if you suspect that someone is listening.
- Stop using the phone or device in question.
- Do not discuss concerns about the phone while it is near you, even if you think it is powered off.
- Contact HPI or a forensics specialist as soon as possible for detection.